It's Basketball Season!
Welcome to the 2015-2016 season of LP Rec hoops!
We have SEVEN teams this season, so each playing date (Wednesday or Saturday) one team will have a bye. The list of teams is on the left, and the standings will be updated on the right throughout the season.
If you have any questions or concerns throughout the year, please feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you, and I'll see you on the court!
- Adam Colaizzi
Wednesday, January 6, 2016
RULES FOR 6-8 REC – 2016 season
1. Each player must play a minimum of half the game - no exceptions!! Remember, everyone makes the playoffs. If you are losing big then give some of the weaker players more time than 50% to get better as the season progress.
2. “"Borrowing” players – if necessary a team can borrow someone in the rec program (agreed upon by the coaches) to field a full team of five on the court. Borrowed players should not be subs (you borrow the fifth man, not the sixth man). If the fifth player arrives, the borrowed player should be removed at the next substitution. **Note that the game is NOT a forfeit if a team borrows a fifth player; the result will count in the standings.
3. 20 minutes halves (running clock); last 2 minutes is regulation (stops on whistle).
4. Five (5) fouls per player. Coaches each will receive a book and must keep track of these. Seventh team foul is one-n-one bonus and ten is double bonus per half.
5. If a player gets a “T” by the ref during the game - NO EXCEPTIONS - one game suspension. That would be the next game and not a game of your choice. Coaches receiving a “T” also get a one-game suspension; same rules apply.
6. Foul shots:
· Shooter must stay and land behind the line. If over it’s a violation.
· Foul shots are on the release for the players in the lane. The foul shooter and the rest of the players behind the arc MUST wait till it hits the rim. If they don’t, it’s an immediate violation. The shooter gets another shot if against the opposing team, or the ball goes to the defense if the violation in on offense.
· Man or zone is fine; if up by more than 20 points leading team must stay inside 3 point arc. In the spirit of sportsmanship, if your team is trending that way (up 15, then 17, etc.) don’t wait to 20 to pull back; move them back sooner.
· Press—1st half—up by more than 15-cannot press. Press allowed last 2 minutes only.
· Press—2nd half—up by 15— cannot press. Last 2 minutes only.
8. Timeouts: two full timeouts per half.
9. Players may not wear any jewelry, earrings, necklaces, etc. Basketball-style wristbands, headbands and shooting sleeves are OK. All players must wear sneakers and have a uniform shirt with a number. No duplicate numbers.
10. Overtime is 2 minutes-1 extra timeout for each team. Teams can press full court. Fouls are still in effect. Clock will stop after every whistle.
11. The teams playing the 8PM games are responsible for ensuring the LPMS gym is cleaned up, bleachers pushed in, etc. If everyone does their part, this should not be an issue.
12. A reminder that ONLY Rutgers certified volunteers can coach; if you are coaching alone and can not make a game please see if there is a certified parent who can help, or let me know.